Tutorial: Knot Bennos Happiness with paracord
Tie the 'Bennos Happiness' with paracord using this photo tutorial. This tutorial is focused on making a collar, but you can use the knot for all kinds of projects.
Don't feel like reading? Watch the video tutorial here:
First, choose the closure and the colours of Paracord you are going to use. Using the length calculator for Benno's Happiness, you can calculate what length the ropes should be (click on the 'length calculator’ tab to get to the calculator).
Setting up your knotwork
Are you making a dog collar? Then a safe set-up is very important.
- Set-up cord (longest rope)
- Paracord Jig
- Tape measure
In the blog post on making a safe paracord set-up, you’ll find 3 ways to do this.
After making the single set-up (Kosmetik 2.0) with colour 1, add the remaining 3 cords.
- Colour 2 goes through the set-up knots.
- Make a cow hitch knot with colour 4 between the two set-up knots.
- Pass colour 3 through the cow hitch knot of colour 4.
Colour 1: Turquoise, colour 2: Rubberducky Yellow, colour 3: Passion Pink and colour 4: Leaf Green.
It is important that the length of your set-up is correct. Measure it again to be sure. Also make sure that the other ropes have the same length on the left and right.
Knotting Bennos Happiness
- Bring the left strand of colour 1 via the rear side between the 2 middle strands to the front.
- Repeat for the right strand of colour 1.
- The left-hand strand of colour 2 comes to the front under the horizontal strands of colour 1 in the middle. Now put the strand through the loop of colour 1.
- Repeat step 3 for the right-hand strand of colour 2.
Common mistake: Pass colour 2 only through the loop of colour 1, not through the loops of colour 1 + colour 2.
- Let the left strand of colour 3 go around the horizontal threads of colour 1.
- Repeat step 5 for the right-hand strand of colour 3.
- Repeat step 5 for the left-hand strand of colour 4. Make sure that the strand comes to the front again between itself and colour 3.
- Repeat step 7 for the right strand of colour 4.
- Tighten the knot
- Repeat steps 1-2 and then continue from step 11.
You want to have colours 3 and 4 switch positions to get the colours alternating.
- Let the strands of colour 2 come to the front under the horizontal strands of colour 1 in the middle. Put the strands through the loop of colour 1 on both sides.
- Let the strands of colour 4 go around the horizontal threads of colour 1.
- Repeat step 12 for colour 3. Make sure that the strands come to the front again between itself and colour 4.
- Tighten the knot.
You have now tied two knots of Benno’s Happiness. Make sure you alternate between steps 3-9 and 11-14, so that the colours 3 and 4 alternate in the pattern.
Finishing off Bennos Happiness
After you have knotted the required length, it is time for the finishing off. As with the set-up, it is important that this is done safely.
- Tea spoon
- Paracord needle or crochet hook
Finishing off is a learning process, so give yourself the time to get a better insight into this technique.
You can read more about finishing a Paracord dog collar here.